New York Jazz Academy® Summer Jazz Intensives are NYC’s most popular summer jazz programs for jazz musicians, including both teens and adults. These unique summer jazz music camps emphasize practical playing experience through a variety of classes, clinics, and performance activities for today’s jazz musician. For the first time, this summer’s intensives will include a completely immersive jazz experience that incorporates visits to major New York City jazz venues, including clubs, historical sites, and visits with influential players on the NYC jazz scene. Each week features new curricular material, giving musicians the flexibility to attend as many weeks as they choose. All participants will be placed in performance ensembles that stress a combination of reading music, improvising and collaborative music-making. Participants will leave the program with a significantly greater understanding of harmony, melody, and jazz styles.
Apply for the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives
Watch the Video
What sets the program apart?
Not all summer programs are created equal. We want you to choose carefully, and we are here to help, as NYJA® may be just right for you. The NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives are the most comprehensive summer music program in NYC, for both teens and adults. What helps set the program apart?:
- Transparent placement. NYJA® makes assessments and curates class placements according to level. Of utmost importance is that any instrumentalist or vocalist who studies with NYJA®, whether a youngster, teen, or adult, finds a place within our program that resonates deeply.
- Community. NYJA® is the largest jazz school in NYC and includes 1,000+ students in 70+ countries. You’ll find your people here (Read NYJA® musicians’ stories and testimonials).
- Unparalleled intimacy. This is an absolute rarity among programs, and it is a cornerstone of NYJA® programming. At times, the student to teacher ratio exceeds 1:1, as students can find themselves in situations where the ratio ends up being 3:1 (literally 1 student with 3 teachers mentoring and supporting).
- NYJA® sees results. Heavily-researched and curated theory and harmony classes see results, and students see measurable growth, even after only a week with NYJA® programs.
- Better teaching. This cannot be overlooked. The care and research that is in place at NYJA® far exceeds most programs worldwide. NYJA® faculty and staff work daily, year-round, clocking thousands of hours of research, developing resonant methods of teaching students of different learning styles, with an emphasis on scaffolding within a hands-on, inquiry-based approach. In a world where summer jazz camps tend to be thrown together without actual curricular development at all, this distinction is of immense importance.
- Beginners develop. New York Jazz Academy®’s research and development has led to great innovations that target and help beginner students in jazz. For anyone new to jazz or wary of finding the right spot for developing core fundamentals in jazz styles and improvisations, NYJA® may be just right.
- Advancing musicians thrive. Thanks to the mentorship and mastery among NYJA® faculty, advancing musicians routinely find their place here, as they work toward going to the next level, whether in pursuit of professional development or simply with the goal of improving while having fun.
- Dedicated curricula for vocalists and instrumentalists. While some goals overlap, vocalists attending NYJA® naturally also have some different needs than instrumentalists. Every effort is made to provide a singular experience for each musician here.
- Digital integration includes supplementary classes via NYJA® Online, which help prepare students beforehand, while aiding in continuing their studies and development after the summer program has finished for the season.
- Regular visits to NYC jazz venues, giving students exclusive behind-the-scenes access, thanks to NYJA® partnerships around NYC.
- Nurturing and oversight. Teachers are trained and work on year-round professional development within NYJA®.
- Diversity. NYJA® sees students from all over the U.S. and the world, of diverse backgrounds and ages. Teens find their community here, as do adults. In addition, the ratio of male to female at NYJA® has “broken the mold,” sometimes seeing even more females than males in a world where jazz tends to be, to this day, an “old boys’ club.”
- Year-round support and advising/mentoring that extends well beyond the week(s) that a student attends the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives program.
- Premium facilties. NYJA® classes are held in state-of-the-art studios in Times Square, Manhattan, New York City, operating out of the most premium jazz studio in all of NYC, with full staffing, full A/C, grand pianos, top-tier backlines, and well-lit rooms, all in a secure location.
- Partnerships and collaborations with prestigious university programs, including Ivy League schools (Columbia University, Amherst College), local schools (CUNY), and liberal arts schools across the US (Lawrence University and Oberlin College).
- Sponsorships and endorsements from major US brands, including Yamaha, Sabian, Vic Firth, and RS Berkeley
- Venue performances have included Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, Smoke Jazz Club, Club Bonafide, NYC Parks Department, and many others.
- Cultural collaborations have included PBS Television, Smithsonian Institute, NYC Office of the Mayor, US Dept. of State, Save the Children, DreamYard, Experience Ayiti.
- There’s only one original. NYJA® was the first program in the U.S. to offer a “Jazz Intensive,” and it remains the only program that offers a true “intensive.” Other programs that use the term are confusing it with “summer jazz camp.”
- NYJA® is official. New York Jazz Academy® is also the only jazz school in all of New York City to be recognized and approved by the New York State Department of Education.
- NYJA® is recognized. New York Jazz Academy® is the only music school in all of New York City to receive a full name trademark from the US Government Patent Office. This matters, as the trademark is earned in part by being the most recognized in the field.
- NYJA® is celebrated. New York Jazz Academy® is the only jazz school in all of New York City to be featured on “NBC Nightly News,” “Today in New York,” in DownBeat Magazine, the New York Times, and much more.
- Strong alumni network. NYJA® alumni have gone on to develop strong careers, attend prestigious schools (Berklee, NEC, SUNY Purchase, Indiana University, Columbia University, etc.) and win international prizes (American Idol finalists, The Voice finalists, The X-Factor finalists, Montreux Jazz Festival piano competition winner, Great American Piano Competition winner, International Trumpet Guild finalist, several DownBeat Magazine student must award winners, etc.).
- More fun! Relationships and friendships forged at NYJA® can last a lifetime, whether it be with fellow students or teachers and staff. The sense of camaraderie and support at NYJA® is inspiring and significant–in the classroom, on the bandstand, and at social events.
When and where are the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives (in NYC)?
In NYC, the 2019 NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives are scheduled to be held from July-August (Mon-Thurs, 11am-5pm; Fri, 12pm-5pm) in Times Square, Manhattan at 149 W. 46 St. (@ 7th Ave.), New York, NY, 10036. Participants may choose to attend one or more weeks. All locations are subject to change, and hours may change slightly, as needed to accommodate any field trips, outings, concerts, etc.
- Week 1: July 1-5
- Week 2: July 8-12
- Week 3: July 15-19
- Week 4: July 22-26
- Week 5: July 29-August 2
- Week 6: August 5-9
- Week 7: August 12-16
- Week 8: August 19-23
- Week 9: August 26-30
When and where are the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives (on Long Island)?
On Long Island, the 2018 NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives will be held in July at 14 Cold Spring Rd., Syosset, NY 11791. Mon-Thurs will run 11am-5pm. Fridays will be held in Manhattan (concert day) from 12pm-5pm. Participants may choose to attend one or both weeks.
- Week 1: July 15-19
- Week 2: July 22-26
Who teaches at the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives?
NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives faculty is selected from the main NYJA® faculty roster and features many of the finest jazz musicians and educators in New York City, including Tom Dempsey, Ron Wilkins, Pete Zimmer, Adam Birnbaum, Dan Cray, Michael Webster, David Engelhard, Ron Horton, Peck Allmond, Tammy Scheffer, and Aubrey Johnson, among others.
Introducing NYJA® Winter, Spring, and Custom Jazz Intensives
Do you want to enroll in a NYJA® Jazz Intensive at a different time of year? New York Jazz Academy® is now offering NYJA® Winter Jazz Intensives, NYJA® Spring Jazz Intensives, and NYJA® Custom Jazz Intensives. Click here for complete information.
Can you walk me through a typical day?
11:00am Jazz Theory Classes
12:00pm Section Workshops (Improv/Rhythm/Melodic/etc.)
1:30pm LUNCH + Jam Sessions
2:00pm Ensemble Rehearsals
4:00pm Guest Artist Masterclasses/Concerts
5:00pm Regular Dismissal
6:00pm Optional evening jam/hang (select evenings)
$727-$1,295/week, depending on the number of weeks enrolled. (Click here, or on the blue button at the bottom of this page, for complete tuition details and dates). NYJA® offers rolling admissions, but we strongly recommend you apply early.
What about housing?
New York Jazz Academy® does not offer dormitory housing. Hotels in Manhattan tend to start at around $129/night, at a minimum. Search for “hotels near 10036”.
Is this program for me?
NYJA® accepts students of varying levels, accepting only a few students on each instrument at each level. Feel free to apply for this program whether you are an advanced professional, an intermediate player, a beginner, an instrumentalist, a vocalist, a teen, or an adult. We track and place students in appropriate classes based on age and level.
How do I apply?
Submit your online application here. Applicants will be notified via email of a decision within 1-2 weeks. We strongly advise you submit your application as soon as possible, as many placements have already started to fill. Please note that if you do not have any performances available online, you may mail a CD or DVD recording of your performance to the following address:
New York Jazz Academy
P.O. Box 721331
Jackson Heights, NY 11372
Need More Info?
For much more detailed information on the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives or the New York Jazz Academy® school year programs click on this post about “What to Expect at the NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives”. Also check out our media page for NYJA® Summer Jazz Intensives videos and photos.
Other Summer Options
Intensives Details and Registration Info