- New York Jazz Academy® Small Ensembles and Combo programs bring together players of similar levels and goals, matching them into small ensemble placements in an effort to maximize player satisfaction. Small ensembles cover specific styles (Great American Songbook Standards, Early Jazz, Blues, Brazilian, Afro/Latin, Odd/Mixed Meter, and others). NYJA® Small Ensembles are limited ideally to no more than 4 horns (2 is typical) and guitar, piano, bass, drums. On occasion, NYJA® allows for multiple comping instruments in one small ensemble. Players work intently with a NYJA® mentor and coach in an effort to take their music to the next level. NYJA® small ensembles often find themselves preparing for public performances, too. Groups have performed recently at Smoke Jazz Club, Club Bonafide, Carnegie Hall, and more.
***In rare instances, select vocalists may also be eligible to join NYJA® Small Ensembles.***
- You might be eligible to join a small ensemble, depending on your aptitude in the following areas:
- Performance aptitude
- Experience and knowledge with harmony and form
- Experience with vocal jazz improv
- Other factors
- Contact NYJA® to inquire about your eligibility
Alternatives to small ensembles include the following options:
- Manhattan (Times Square)
- Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights)
- Queens (Sunnyside)
- Long Island (Syosset)
- Ask About Other Locations
- Early Fall, Late Fall, Winter, Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer Semesters
- Mondays, 7pm-8:50pm
- Tuesdays, 7:00pm-8:50pm
- Wednesdays, 8pm-9:50pm
- Thursdays, 12pm-1:50pm
- Thursdays, 7:00pm-8:50pm
- Fridays, 6pm-7:50pm
- Fridays, 8pm-9:50pm
- Saturdays, 12pm-1:50pm
- Saturdays, 4pm-5:50pm
- Sundays, 4pm-5:50pm
- Sundays, 7pm-8:50pm
- By Appointment, contact us for other times.
- Want to start now? NYJA® offers rolling admission for many programs. Contact us to get started.
- *Dates/Times are subject to change.
- Semesters are typically 7-9 sessions/weeks in duration.
- $411-$448/semester (member rate).
- $560/semester (regular rate).
- Learn more about makeup dates and membership.
- Additional discounts available for members who sign up for a 1-Year Program plan.
- Small Ensembles run from beginner through advanced levels.
- Placements require an initial assessment, and musicians are placed according to personal goals and aptitude.
- Contact us to get started with your assessment.
- Perform with other like-minded musicians.
- Learn from top NYC talent.
- Participate in concerts year-round.
- Enjoy small ensemble sizes (typically 5-8 musicians).
- Challenge yourself with repertoire tailored to your goals.
- Forge lasting relationships with other players.
- Challenge and grow as a musician.
Watch A Video