NYJA Improv Workshops programs bring together a combination of instrumentalists and vocalists of similar levels and goals, in an effort to develop as jazz improvisers while working on core repertoire in the jazz canon. Improv workshops are a low-cost and worthwhile alternative to NYJA small ensembles, and they are appropriate for any player wanting to work more intently on improv specifics including vocabulary, understanding chord changes, and developing a stronger sense of jazz style. Classes are all ensemble-based and repertoire-driven, with an emphasis placed on learning and immediately applying material. Core repertoire tends to cover “jam session” and “real book” standards and genres, and courses move far beyond simply passing out a lead sheet and “jamming” on tunes. Your goal in these workshops should be the same as ours, to help take you to the next level while enjoying working on your jazz with other like-minded students. Workshops are leveled, with beginning-intermediate-advanced placements available.
- Manhattan (Various Locations)
- Brooklyn (Various Locations)
- Long Island (Syosset)
- Ask About Other Locations
- Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall Semesters
- Mondays, 6pm-7:20pm, 7:30pm-8:50pm (Manhattan)
- Tuesdays, 6pm-7:20pm (Manhattan)
- Wednesdays, 6pm-7:20pm (Manhattan)
- Thursdays, 6pm-7:20pm (Manhattan)
- Fridays, 6pm-7:20pm (Manhattan)
- Sundays, 4pm-5:20pm, 5:30pm-6:50pm (Syosset, Long Island)
- Contact us for other available times.
- Want to start now? NYJA offers rolling admission for many programs. Contact us to get started.
- Semesters are typically 8 sessions/weeks in duration.
- $32/session (members).
- $40/session (non-members).
- Learn more about membership.
Improv Workshops run from beginner through advanced levels. Placements require an initial assessment, and musicians are placed according to personal goals and aptitude.
- Contact us to get started with your assessment.
- Perform with other like-minded musicians.
- Learn from top NYC talent.
- Challenge yourself with repertoire tailored to your goals.
- Forge lasting relationships with other players.
- Challenge and grow as a vocalist.
Watch A Video