New York Jazz Academy® Improv Workshops programs bring together a combination of instrumentalists and vocalists of similar levels and goals, in an effort to develop as jazz improvisers while working on core repertoire in the jazz canon. NYJA Jazz Improv workshops are a perfect complement to NYJA small ensembles, and they are appropriate for any player wanting to work more intently on improv specifics including vocabulary, understanding chord changes, and developing a stronger sense of jazz style. Classes are repertoire-driven, with an emphasis placed on learning and immediately applying material. Core repertoire tends to cover “jam session” and “real book” standards and genres, and courses move far beyond simply passing out a lead sheet and “jamming” on tunes. Your goal in these workshops should be the same as ours, to help take you to the next level while enjoying working on your jazz with other like-minded students. Workshops are leveled, with beginning-intermediate-advanced placements available.
- Manhattan (Times Square)
- Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights)
- Queens (Sunnyside)
- Long Island (Syosset)
- Ask About Other Locations
- Early Fall, Late Fall, Winter, Early Spring, Late Spring, Summer Semesters
- Wednesdays (all instruments), 6pm-7pm (Manhattan)
- Thursdays (vocal improv only), 6pm-7pm (Manhattan)
- Sundays (all instruments), 12pm-1pm (Manhattan)
- Contact us for other available times.
- Want to start now? NYJA offers rolling admission for many programs. Contact us to get started.
- Semesters are typically 7-9 sessions/weeks in duration.
- $256/semester (member rate).
- $320/semester (regular rate).
- Learn more about makeup dates and membership.
- Additional discounts available for members who sign up for a 1-Year Program plan.
- Interested in a class bundle? Click here for current class bundle offers and discounts.
NYJA Jazz Improv Workshops run from beginner through advanced levels. Placements require an initial assessment, and musicians are placed according to personal goals and aptitude.
- Contact us to get started with your assessment.
- Perform with other like-minded musicians.
- Learn from top NYC talent.
- Challenge yourself with repertoire tailored to your goals.
- Forge lasting relationships with other players.
- Challenge and grow as a vocalist.
Watch A Video