Click on the image below to read a letter from a NYJA participant (or read the text below):
Thanks very much for connecting me with the Wayne Shorter ensemble. I had a really good first session in that beautiful church sanctuary in Manhattan! The rehearsal space alone was fantastic.
I thought that the New York Jazz Academy would be the same as other programs I've encountered in the past, and it's not. It's way better. The quality of instruction and the clear thought and care that go into the selection of participants is outstanding. I'd been very skeptical in the past, as I'd had experiences where I took ensemble classes that were advertised in the same manner, but where I didn't learn anything.
I felt that Wayne was an excellent instructor, very honest in his constructive criticism but very supportive. He was clear and concise in his direction of the group and his level of professionalism made it both productive and fun. I definitely learned some important concepts about approaching four-over-six time (playing in six, swinging in four on the turnaround on "Footprints") and how to articulate a two feel more fluidly when played behind the beat.
I'm impressed and very happy to be proved wrong. Thanks again for the opportunity to play with the group.
High School English Teacher &
Click on the image below to read a letter from a NYJA Summer Jazz Intensives student (or read the text below):
Dear Javier and NYJA,
Overall, why I like your program:
* You are so POSITIVE and relaxed!
* All of the instructors are so generous and highly skilled.
* You really scaffolded the week extremely well -- I would say that is a defining difference between your workshop and the Aebersold workshop. I loved that experience too, but it was more like a random idea here and there and students were totally on their own to implement ideas; the connecting threads were not scaffolded at all, especially in terms of the flow of the day and week. I think the way you teach, ESPECIALLY the theory, is extremely well done and it certainly helped me fill in a lot of missing pieces.
* Giving us that book is so wonderful -- that is a tremendous resource and I think, again, you've done a really great job with the scaffolding of that content.
* Offering the spiritual side of music was a priceless gift to the young people in particular and the way you do it so authentically and as just part of the conversation is very refreshing and really so needed.
* You are very skilled at individualized instruction.
All of this is going to help me as a player and as the volunteer music teacher at my school, so I thank you from the bottom of my heart for a wonderful and enriching week.
--Monique, July 2010